Published on March 28th, 2013 | by Ava Vinson0
Why Choose a Career as a CAD Drafter
For those who haven’t found their talent or calling—as some would call it—choosing a career path can be a daunting task due to the numerous questions that crop up such as the cost of tuition, the needed qualifications and exams a candidate has to pass/have before been considered for admission and what are my opportunities in the job market. If you fall into the category of individuals mentioned above, then this article is tailored just for you and it shall provide accurate answers to the above questions.
Who is a CAD Drafter?
A CAD drafter is a professional designer who employs the use of computer-aided design software to bring ideas to life in either 2D or 3D for commercial and private use. The ideas can cover a wide range of topics/fields like; engineering components, architectural plans, animation, fashion designing etc. a computer drafter makes use of CAD software that includes: Solidworks, AutoCAD, MAYA etc. to create plans and models for his/her project.
How to Become a CAD Drafter
The steps needed to become a CAD drafter varies and this variety of steps depends on the level of education a particular individual considering taking up CAD drafting as his/her career path. For individuals who already possess a first degree, the career path is different and for those just leaving high school, their educational trajectory to becoming a drafter also varies.
I shall be focusing on High school leavers in this article and the steps provided below is written particularly for individuals that fall into this category.
- Having your GED certificate is the first requirement you would need in other to be considered by most International drafting Institutions. Having a good computer, geometry, algebra, Trigonometry and an affinity for technical documentation would also go a long way in helping you confirm your career choice of becoming a CAD drafter
- The next step is enrolling in a CAD drafting institution for a B.tech certificate which would qualify or identify you as an entry level CAD drafting worker. The course duration is between 6 to 12 months and you would be involved in courses that teach; manual drafting/traditional drafting techniques, technical writing, algebra as well as 2D and 3D CAD modeling techniques. At this stage, you can either choose to pursue advanced CAD degrees or to kick-start your career as a CAD drafter.
- Getting an associate degree in CAD drafting would provide you with the technical knowledge needed to understand and use drafting principles that covers structural designing and architecture as well as learning how to use programme/computer/code languages to enhance your drafting abilities.
- At this level, you can now choose to pursue a master degree which can be followed by a doctorate in CAD drafting. You would be given the opportunity to get a doctorate in either the engineering or the architectural professional fields… quantitative research, social factors and designing building integrated models will all be part of your curriculum.
The Salary Bracket of CAD Drafters
In the United States, the salary bracket of CAD drafting professional varies according to your level of education, working experience, abilities and other criteria but the approximate salary bracket for CAD drafters I in the architectural and engineering niche according to salary.com is;
- CAD drafter 1—$42,000 per annum
- CAD drafter 11–$50-80,000 per annum
- CAD drafter 111–$50-100,000 per annum
- CAD drafter IV–$80- 120,000 per annum
In conclusion, I would have to say that choosing a career should not be totally made on the amount of money to be made from a particular career path and talent/ a natural affinity for a particular field should be the most determining factor in your choice of a career.
Incoming search terms:
- is drafting a good career choice
- IS CAD A GOOD CAREER CHOICE
- career path for drafters